Captain Jacks comment period and meeting-
PLEASE COMMENT! CMTRA members-
After a long winter, we have finally heard from the Forest Service about their ideas for the future of Captain Jacks.
In short, we consider this proposal to be good news, for several reasons.
1) It retains motorized access to the area and to many of the trails that we have been riding for years, along with some new trail that we will help construct.
2) While it closes some great trail, it treats all uses fairly- the closed trail will be closed to everyone and rehabilitated. Further, it restricts hikers and bicycles to trail use only, just as we are.
3) New trail. That's good news in anyone's book! Speaking for myself, I thought it likely that access would be completely lost.
Compared to that, this is a great outcome... so please recognize in your comments that it could be far, far worse, and please be respectful of the public servants who have made this plan, they have received off-color comments from motorized users in the past and it does far more harm than good.
Some of the important questions that remain open:
- When will access, either on existing trails or on the new trail, be restored for motorized users?
- Would the forest look at building/ opening new trail outside the Bear Creek drainage to regain the lost mileage/ trail opportunities?
- Why is trail 666 still open to non-motorized users? Please PLEASE come to the meeting on April 4. If you can't be there, please send comments to the email address below. The people who don't want motorized use will certainly be writing letters, we had better match them. Forward this to your friends and riding buddies.